Funny news stories

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Funny news stories

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:I don't know where else to put this. Anyways, Happy New Year Dubby.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/declancashin/ca ... e?s=mobile
Hahaha brilliant

I LOVE YOU, DR ZAIUS!!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote:I don't know where else to put this. Anyways, Happy New Year Dubby.

Ha ha that's awesome
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:

Hahaha brilliant

I LOVE YOU, DR ZAIUS!!
Is your name Dubby? It wasn't meant for you. Thanks for ruining Christmas jerk.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queens ... 7165277792
I'd have thought it would have been easier to provide them with a seat from Suncorp Stadium. Stay classy Queensland!
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Dr Zaius wrote:http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queens ... 7165277792
I'd have thought it would have been easier to provide them with a seat from Lang Park. Stay classy Queensland!
#TeamQLD.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

What exactly is the issue with these toilets?
2014 Golden Boogs Award Winner
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

The person in the comments asking what the guy in the right of the photo is doing raises a good question.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

http://www.smh.com.au/national/mind-you ... 1d4kn.html

London, Amsterdam, Calgary, Sydney..... Brisbane. Brisbane?!

****!
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:I'd have thought it would have been easier to provide them with a seat from Lang Park. Stay classy Queensland!
Have you heard that the toilets at Canberra Stadium are being replaced by Action buses?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like someone went off too soon.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/national/mind-you ... 1d4kn.html

****!
The date on that link is 2011
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:
bileduct wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/national/mind-you ... 1d4kn.html

****!
The date on that link is 2011
I know, I saw the date when I read the article.

It seems like these things have been around a while, and in quite a few places, yes?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

As far as I know, they are not in Sydney which suggests that they thought that they were disgusting and got rid of them. I can't speak for other places.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Why are they disgusting?

If I owned one of the businesses around the kinds of places where these are being installed, do you think I would find them disgusting?
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

They are in the Cross. Not Sydney as a whole.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:Why are they disgusting?

If I owned one of the businesses around the kinds of places where these are being installed, do you think I would find them disgusting?
To be honest, I really don't want to get into an argument with you. But walking your kids past a bloke having a leak, or sitting down eating lunch with the waft of urine generally isn't appealing to most people. If they were down alleyways, that's one thing but they were front and centre in a mixed use area. The public found them so distasteful that the trial lasted less than a fortnight before it was scrapped,but each to their own I guess.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:

To be honest, I really don't want to get into an argument with you. But walking your kids past a bloke having a leak, or sitting down eating lunch with the waft of urine generally isn't appealing to most people. If they were down alleyways, that's one thing but they were front and centre in a mixed use area. The public found them so distasteful that the trial lasted less than a fortnight before it was scrapped,but each to their own I guess.
The trials are still going and the urinals operate from midnight to dawn. They are placed in an area with bars, nightclubs and strip joints, where there is a high incidence of drunken morons pissing on shopfront doors and windows.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I have no idea what you idiots are debating but I agree with Zaius and disagree with bileduct.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

The trials are still going and the urinals operate from midnight to dawn. They are placed in an area with bars, nightclubs and strip joints, where there is a high incidence of drunken morons pissing on shopfront doors and windows.
The mayor has asked for the trial to be discontinued. They were opening hours were originally significantly longer. There are a lot of night clubs in the area but there are equally a number of cafes, restaurants and shops, as well as it being one of the main pedestrian thoroughfares through Surfers.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Oh, well I guess the good business owners of that fair city can look forward to their property being micturated upon in the normal manner then.

Personally, I don't see the difference between seeing someone piss all over a shopfront or in an open air urinal in the late evening and early hours of the morning. But then again, I don't work at one of those businesses.

The solution is obviously more cops to solve these public pisser crimes.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Wrong again Bileduct. The solution is installation of CCTV cameras covering every square inch of a 5 mile radius of every pub, along with mandatory minimum sentencing for public urination. I think 6 months or so behind bars should be long enough for them to think about the error of their ways.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'd have thought that building some public toilets would have covered it, but that's just me.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

There's public toilets about 40m away, at least from the ones that are positioned at the corner of Cavill and Orchid that seem to have attracted all the attention.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I don't care what facilities they install, I'm still p*ssing all over shop windows
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

The Nickman wrote:I don't care what facilities they install, I'm still p*ssing all over shop windows
:lol:
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:There's public toilets about 40m away, at least from the ones that are positioned at the corner of Cavill and Orchid that seem to have attracted all the attention.
So if people are happy just to piss where they feel like it, despite facilities being available, how are the urinals going to solve the problem?
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:
bileduct wrote:There's public toilets about 40m away, at least from the ones that are positioned at the corner of Cavill and Orchid that seem to have attracted all the attention.
So if people are happy just to piss where they feel like it, despite facilities being available, how are the urinals going to solve the problem?
Hence the trial, good doctor. To see whether or not there would be a change to human behaviour.

I would hazard a guess that these urinals have been placed in public pisser hot spots, and that the mindset of the average public pisser is that it's much quicker and more pleasant to take a piss in a shopfront doorway than walk 40m down the road, perhaps wait in line, and then deal with a toilet that is most likely covered in urine and faeces.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Hell, my bathroom is no more than 3 metres away from the end of my bed and yet I still go outside and pee on the neighbours front windows.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Hence the trial, good doctor. To see whether or not there would be a change to human behaviour.

I would hazard a guess that these urinals have been placed in public pisser hot spots, and that the mindset of the average public pisser is that it's much quicker and more pleasant to take a piss in a shopfront doorway than walk 40m down the road, perhaps wait in line, and then deal with a toilet that is most likely covered in urine and faeces.
So how is walking down the road 40m, waiting in line to take a whiz in something that reeks of piss and dealing with a urine soaked floor any different?
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Well good doctor, perhaps the public pissers are people who don't see public urination as such a big deal and it's therefore not worth the additional effort to walk that distance and possibly wait in a line to take a piss at a time of the day when a lot of these businesses are unattended.

This trial was an attempt to see whether or not those same public pissers, if provided with a quick and convenient solution that is also easy to manufacture and maintain, would opt to use it instead of the Ray White entrance a few metres away.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I know the ones in London used to come up from a big manhole in the ground as opposed to portable/temporary ones. They also were often on the sides streets just off a Main Street near a tube. Good idea because you would often head home after a skinful and by the time you got too your tube stop you were willing to piss anywhere!
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Lucy wrote:Hell, my bathroom is no more than 3 metres away from the end of my bed and yet I still go outside and pee on the neighbours front windows.
We could be the same person...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:Well good doctor, perhaps the public pissers are people who don't see public urination as such a big deal and it's therefore not worth the additional effort to walk that distance and possibly wait in a line to take a piss at a time of the day when a lot of these businesses are unattended.

This trial was an attempt to see whether or not those same public pissers, if provided with a quick and convenient solution that is also easy to manufacture and maintain, would opt to use it instead of the Ray White entrance a few metres away.
Why bother with a trial when they have been trialled and scrapped in other parts of the country? If they insist on a trial why do the trial during the busiest family time of the year. The place is literally teaming with families at the moment. Why not do it an equally busy but far more gross time of year such as schoolies, when no self-respecting individual would set foot in Surfers?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bileduct wrote:
Lucy wrote:Hell, my bathroom is no more than 3 metres away from the end of my bed and yet I still go outside and pee on the neighbours front windows.
That's what I've been trying to tell everybody!!
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

The Nickman wrote:
bileduct wrote:
That's what I've been trying to tell everybody!!
I was waiting for this.