The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Film Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Just watched The Power of the Dog on Netflix. Unusual “western”, but lots of Oscar contenders there. Picture, director (Jane Campion), actor (Benedict Cumberbatch) supporting actress (Kirsten Dunst), cinematography.

Landry’s in it. That’s enough for me.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I watched "Don't Look Up" on Saturday and quite enjoyed it. I went into it thinking it was listed only as drama, which is probably better with any comedy just a bonus.

I watched Boy in the Striped Pyjamas yesterday, I didn't really know how it was going to finish until around the last 20 mins. Glad I watched it, but I think I'll need to select something a bit light hearted for my next film choice.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought "Don't look up" was disappointing. Seemed like they thought they were making a modern day Dr Strangelove, but the targets of their commentary became far too diffuse.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

Just came out from watching The Batman. Man it was good. Robert Pattinson smashed it out of the park. I’m gonna say it’s one of the best versions of Batman yet. A good blend of Bale’s and Keaton’s for mine
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 6, 2022, 5:32 pm Just came out from watching The Batman. Man it was good. Robert Pattinson smashed it out of the park. I’m gonna say it’s one of the best versions of Batman yet. A good blend of Bale’s and Keaton’s for mine
Not sure when, but im planning on going to see it sometime in the next few days, got a pretty light tuesday brewing and some flex to get rid of, might try and lock it in then. Heard nothing but good things about it
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I’ll be keen to get your thoughts one it once you’ve seen it. Forgot Colin Farrell was Penguin until the end. Dude was unrecognisable!

Nickman's love of NSW
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I watched The Lost Daughter last night - I was expecting good things but it was honestly terrible, to the point that I was pissed off after watching it. Nothing happened. The fact that movie critics praised it reminds one how pretentious they are.

And I watched the Batman on Friday. It was enjoyable, 6/10 for me. My issues with it:
- the director tried to make the entire movie suspenseful, but it ended up just dragging scenes out… slow dialogue, grim faces etc.
- the lighting was very dark. In the whole 3 hours, there was only one scene set in daylight
- they didn’t really explore Bruce Wayne’s life at all, it was pretty much all Batman.

As I said, overall enjoyable though.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

the bone wrote:I watched The Lost Daughter last night - I was expecting good things but it was honestly terrible, to the point that I was pissed off after watching it. Nothing happened. The fact that movie critics praised it reminds one how pretentious they are.

And I watched the Batman on Friday. It was enjoyable, 6/10 for me. My issues with it:
- the director tried to make the entire movie suspenseful, but it ended up just dragging scenes out… slow dialogue, grim faces etc.
- the lighting was very dark. In the whole 3 hours, there was only one scene set in daylight
- they didn’t really explore Bruce Wayne’s life at all, it was pretty much all Batman.

*** Spoilers ***
I thought this as well, but this movie was set in the 2nd year of him donning the cowl. My take was that he was very much focused on the mission, and Bruce took a back seat. Even Alfred and Mayor Real both tell Bruce how he’s been absent.

Now he knows what the crime families have been doing with his Thomas’ funds, partly because he wasn’t there to watch over the business. This combined with his realisation the city needs him to be more than just vengeance. I suspect the next movie will have more of a focus on him building the “Bruce” persona
the bone wrote:- the lighting was very dark. In the whole 3 hours, there was only one scene set in daylight
It’s Batman, he works at night!

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

While I’m at it, had a bit of a movie weekend

- Kept up with my Star Wars catch up. Watched Ep II Attack of the Clones. Preferred this one to Ep I. Finding Anakin’s being a bit of a brat though
- Backed this up with Clone Wars. Wasn’t too bad. Now in the process of binging the Clone Wars tv series before I move to Revenge of the Sith.

Work colleagues have been giving me grief watching it in chronological order, rather than order made, but I feel like for a complete noob this makes sense

- Locke: Saw this one had a lot of good reviews, but it wasn’t really my cup of tea. It’s Tom Hardy driving from Birmingham to London, making all these phone calls as his life is turned upside down. It’s filmed entirely in the car. I didn’t really care much for the character, so I found it hard to have any sympathy for him.

Nickman's love of NSW
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 7, 2022, 5:46 am
the bone wrote:I watched The Lost Daughter last night - I was expecting good things but it was honestly terrible, to the point that I was pissed off after watching it. Nothing happened. The fact that movie critics praised it reminds one how pretentious they are.

*** Spoilers ***
I thought this as well, but this movie was set in the 2nd year of him donning the cowl. My take was that he was very much focused on the mission, and Bruce took a back seat. Even Alfred and Mayor Real both tell Bruce how he’s been absent.

Now he knows what the crime families have been doing with his Thomas’ funds, partly because he wasn’t there to watch over the business. This combined with his realisation the city needs him to be more than just vengeance. I suspect the next movie will have more of a focus on him building the “Bruce” persona
the bone wrote:- the lighting was very dark. In the whole 3 hours, there was only one scene set in daylight
It’s Batman, he works at night!
Goes hand in hand with the comment about not exploring BW enough.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I might be misreading your post, but the point I’m making is that at this point in his life, there’s nothing to explore. Dudes 100% committing himself to being Batman and protecting the city.

Even Alfred told him he needs to make more of an appearance as Bruce.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just saw it, and that was one of the more enjoyable Batman movie i've seen
really quite like the direction that went with this, giving the Wayne's a bit of more of a dark past, portraying them not just as amazing philanthropist saviours, but as billionaire philanthropists really are... guy and gals who almost certainly had to get their hands dirty to get to that level of wealth.

I think i do agree with Bone, that we needed to see a liiiittle more BW in this film, but i also think Fui is right in that i think now the dark Wayne history is exposed and the Renewal project has been used to fund all this crime, we'll see more Bruce in the next film and it will be centered around him taking back control of Wayne Enterprises, contributing to the city and getting a little more Bruce/Bat balance and the lack of BW in this was purposeful because at this stage of his life, you can see how much he loathes being out as Bruce. He says it himself "what im doing is my family's legacy"

I really enjoyed how psychotic the villians were and how depowered Batman was. Of course you know it's a batman film so he wins in the end but he got his **** kicked and these villians are more than on his level, like this **** is really going to be hard for him.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

Botman wrote:I really enjoyed how psychotic the villians were and how depowered Batman was. Of course you know it's a batman film so he wins in the end but he got his **** kicked and these villians are more than on his level, like this **** is really going to be hard for him.
Same. I loved in this story that you can see he’s still figuring things out. He’s not the best fighter. His detective work isn’t up to scratch, missing the Spanish clue. He’s not totally comfortable with heights. It’s a Batman story not seen on screen before.

I’ve seen theories this trilogy will culminate in an Arkham Asylum style story, with the big bads taking over the asylum, and Bats has to go in. I’m praying for this.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 8, 2022, 9:56 pm
Botman wrote:I really enjoyed how psychotic the villians were and how depowered Batman was. Of course you know it's a batman film so he wins in the end but he got his **** kicked and these villians are more than on his level, like this **** is really going to be hard for him.
Same. I loved in this story that you can see he’s still figuring things out. He’s not the best fighter. His detective work isn’t up to scratch, missing the Spanish clue. He’s not totally comfortable with heights. It’s a Batman story not seen on screen before.

I’ve seen theories this trilogy will culminate in an Arkham Asylum style story, with the big bads taking over the asylum, and Bats has to go in. I’m praying for this.
Yeah im really curious to see what they do now, Gotham needs rebuilding so that's going to open the story arc for Bruce Wayne to emerge as a leading figure in the city where as right now in this story, he's known but not really apart of it.

Does that open the door for a Court of Owls story arc? Maybe.
Obviously the Joker is lurking in the background as a potential next big villain. But im excited to see who else could come on board because I think this portrayal of the Riddler as this Zodiac killer type, rather than the jokey prankster he's usually set as was as redefining for that as Heath Ledger's Joker was and i'd love to see what they do with others.

Gotham needs a new D.A after this film, id love to see what Matt Reeves could do with a Harvey Dent/Two-Face.
The rise of the Penguin is going to come via a TV series it seems, so i expect he'll be more of a bit part villain in the movies, similar to the role he played in this.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

Throw in all that floodwater turning to ice during winter, and you could also have Mr Freeze as well, if they could somehow make him realistic enough.

I’ve also seen references to Hush was made through the movie, but TBH, that’s not a villain I’m familiar with.

Cant wait. Want to re-watch this one already, and can’t wait for Pt 2

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

So yeah as mentioned in the CHN thread, I’ve decided to finally get into Star Wars. One of my mates at work is a fanatic and he was more excited than I was… until I told him I was watching them in sequential order, not chronological. Started with Phantom Menace, just finished Revenge of the Sith this morning. Loving it. I was a little worried after watching Ep I, but I was told to push through, because that ones not the best in the series.

I was going to go all out and watch the Clone Wars series before Ep III, but I’ve decided against it. Solo is next in line for me.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 13, 2022, 12:47 pm So yeah as mentioned in the CHN thread, I’ve decided to finally get into Star Wars. One of my mates at work is a fanatic and he was more excited than I was… until I told him I was watching them in sequential order, not chronological. Started with Phantom Menace, just finished Revenge of the Sith this morning. Loving it. I was a little worried after watching Ep I, but I was told to push through, because that ones not the best in the series.

I was going to go all out and watch the Clone Wars series before Ep III, but I’ve decided against it. Solo is next in line for me.
I dont think the prequels are as bad as they're made out to be, but phantom menace is pretty bad
Ive got my issues with the sequels too, particularly the last one... but mostly they're ok too

The OG 3 are obviously awesome, but the one off films are good too, Solo i thought was great and Rogue 1 is maybe the best star wars movie ever imo

I actually really liked the animated stuff too, it's hard to rip through but some of the best stuff in the cannon is in stuff like the Clone Wars animated series, the bad batch is really cool too... and of course the new live action stuff with Mando and Boba Fett, soon Obi-Wan has all been really cool... Obi-Wan has me EXTREMELY excited
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 13, 2022, 12:47 pm So yeah as mentioned in the CHN thread, I’ve decided to finally get into Star Wars. One of my mates at work is a fanatic and he was more excited than I was… until I told him I was watching them in sequential order, not chronological. Started with Phantom Menace, just finished Revenge of the Sith this morning. Loving it. I was a little worried after watching Ep I, but I was told to push through, because that ones not the best in the series.

I dont think the prequels are as bad as they're made out to be, but phantom menace is pretty bad
Ive got my issues with the sequels too, particularly the last one... but mostly they're ok too

The OG 3 are obviously awesome, but the one off films are good too, Solo i thought was great and Rogue 1 is maybe the best star wars movie ever imo

I actually really liked the animated stuff too, it's hard to rip through but some of the best stuff in the cannon is in stuff like the Clone Wars animated series, the bad batch is really cool too... and of course the new live action stuff with Mando and Boba Fett, soon Obi-Wan has all been really cool... Obi-Wan has me EXTREMELY excited
Yeah I went in with low expectations with the prequels, but I thought they just got better and better.

I’m still going to watch the animations, but the original plan was to watch all of Clone Wars before watching Ep III. Now I’m just watching them during the week, and the movies on the weekend. The urge to push to Mando is too strong.

Also, never realised Boba / the Clones are all Jake the Muss! Seeing him in Ep II brought back some childhood fears. I can see why they would clone him though!

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched Nightmare Alley tonight. I’ve never seen the original film noir from 1947. It’s an awful, dark tale. It was brilliantly produced and the cinematography is equally brilliant. Both make it darker and more unsavoury. I can see why it is nominated for Best Picture, but I can’t say I liked watching it. I can appreciate the production, but I really didn’t like it. Not a contender.

Do make sure you watch West Side Story. The unnecessary remake from Spielberg, with some changes… some that work, some that don’t. He still doesn’t mess up the masterpiece. It would be difficult to. Some brilliant cinematography and images. But over produced, overly perfect if anything. That’s what Spielberg does. He’s a bit heavy handed. Won’t win best picture, like its predecessor. But well worth watching.

Both on Foxtel and no doubt elsewhere.

The best film I’ve watched all year is “tick.. tick… BOOM”. Sadly not nominated for best film, Andrew Garfield nominated as best actor. He sadly won’t win (Will Smith in one of those roles industry people love), but Garfield delivers the best acting performance I’ve seen in years. Watch it on Netflix.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

Yeah I saw Nightmare Alley over the weekend. I wasn’t a fan. Thought it was kind of predictable and started to drag. There were scenes where the characters were given specific attention as they were doing a monologue, making you think “Oh that’s gonna be relevant.” Only for it not to come back again.

Let’s not start with all the male cast mumbling through the whole thing. I didn’t get it

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Watched Soylent Green this weekend, a futuristic eco dystopian set in the year 2022. The end of this year looks bleak

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Will Smith. Get over yourself.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: What a wild scene.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Will Smith reminds Hollywood he's West Philadelphia Born and Raised - Betoota Advocate

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I just read up on it after these comments. Yikes indeed.

The fact Chris Rock took the slap, with no reaction has me asking questions though. Either it’s a stitch up, Will can’t slap worth a damn, or Chris take take a hit

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

The Film Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I just read up on it after these comments. Yikes indeed.

The fact Chris Rock took the slap, with no reaction has me asking questions though. Either it’s a stitch up, Will can’t slap worth a damn, or Chris take take a hit
Definitely not scripted, given the F bombs yelled out afterwards. Nervous silence followed. Then the tearful apology and rubbish about being a vessel for love when he won best actor. How they allowed him to remain in the audience us beyond me. Condones violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Terrible by Will Smith. Reacting with violence by a role model shows a person unable to control his emotions.

Comedians at award shows are there to show up the stars.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well TBF to poor Will it's just a continuation into madness. You guys know he has an open relationship where his wife sleeps with whoever she wants and has completely disrespected Will previously on TV. You've all seen his children right? They've lost the plot too.

If he wasn't obscenely wealthy he'd be in a psych ward.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

When I heard Will Smith had hit someone, I thought I must have missed a back play incident from the Titans bench player on the weekend.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:Terrible by Will Smith. Reacting with violence by a role model shows a person unable to control his emotions.

Hopefully when he’s cooled down he gives a proper apology.

And hopefully America reflect on why bullying is such a big part of their humour. Why should someone on their biggest night have to sit through someone being a dick to their family and smile? The “joke” wasn’t clever or funny. It poked fun at something that I’m pretty sure is outside their control.

Should expect more and better from comedians. I have huge respect for comedians like Hamish and Andy who don’t need to tear someone else down to make people laugh.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I can see your point but the ever decreasing Oscar viewers don’t want to watch Hamish and Andy blow smoke up the **** of some celebrity.

They want to watch Ricky Gervais cut them down to size.

“I like a drink as much as the next man … unless the next man is Mel Gibson.”
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

BJ wrote: March 28, 2022, 2:36 pm Terrible by Will Smith. Reacting with violence by a role model shows a person unable to control his emotions.

Embarrassing stuff from Will Smith.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Film Thread

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:I can see your point but the ever decreasing Oscar viewers don’t want to watch Hamish and Andy blow smoke up the **** of some celebrity.

They want to watch Ricky Gervais cut them down to size.

“I like a drink as much as the next man … unless the next man is Mel Gibson.”
Don’t need to blow smoke up their ****. Just do something entertaining. Or rip on a movie or something. Anything less personal and out of their control.

As you say the audience is ever decreasing. Maybe it’s time to take the high road.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I just read up on it after these comments. Yikes indeed.

Definitely not scripted, given the F bombs yelled out afterwards. Nervous silence followed. Then the tearful apology and rubbish about being a vessel for love when he won best actor. How they allowed him to remain in the audience us beyond me. Condones violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the clips I’ve seen since has confirmed that. Big props to Chris Rock for taking the hit and not reacting!

You watch, the organisers will see how much buzz this incident has created, and next year’s awards will look like something out of Jerry Springer

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Watched On The Road over the weekend for the first time. Wasn’t a fan. I realised I’m not a fan of the “Free spirit, roadtripping across the country doing nothing” genre like this and Into the Wild. Find the characters to be annoying and have no sympathy for them.

Nickman's love of NSW