The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: The Film Thread

Post by RedRaider »

I went to see Avatar: The way of Water yesterday. I enjoyed it, but it is a very long film and people were regularly walking out and coming back in after toilet breaks. Visually impressive movie. Storyline was similar to the first film about acceptance of difference. There are definitely pointers to the next Avatar film.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Watched Glass Onion on Netflix. Brilliant movie. Another whodunit in the Knives Out series, and Daniel Craig is perfect again.

If you enjoyed Knives Out, you’ll like this one.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Watched Glass Onion on Netflix. Brilliant movie. Another whodunit in the Knives Out series, and Daniel Craig is perfect again.

Yeah, I watched Glass Onion in cinema, I quite enjoyed it. I started Knives Out last night, halfway through it.

Edit: so far it doesn't seem like I've missed out on anything by watching Glass Onion first, they appear to be standalone films

Last edited by Sid on December 28, 2022, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah also watched it and enjoyed it. Had a couple of good chuckles in there.

Wouldn’t go so far as brilliant, but I’ll certainly watch the third one when it comes out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

The Film Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Watched Glass Onion on Netflix. Brilliant movie. Another whodunit in the Knives Out series, and Daniel Craig is perfect again.

I did enjoy it, but as I picked up the key clue (I never ever do, but this time I did) it sort of made it less fun, I suspect. That clue seemed so obvious. Not as good as Knives Out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

*** Potential Knives Out Spoilers ***

I remember seeing a fun fact that Apple won’t allow villains in movies to use their products, and Knives Out was an example of a time they used this clause. So we went though and were able to cull a stack of suspects just by seeing who had an iphone.

Something to remember next time you watch a murder mystery.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m busting to see the new McDonagh film but it’s not out anywhere up my way yet. In Bruges was one of the more underrated films of recent decades and can’t wait to see Gleeson and Farrell work together again. First new film I’ve been excited to see in a long time.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Fell asleep in first 5 mins, rubbish flick.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched “The subtle art of not giving a ****”. I’ve never read the book, but now I don’t give a ****.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ve attempted watching “Everything Everywhere All at Once” at least three times. Today I thought I’d give it another go, and make sure I sat through all of it. 11 Oscar nominations and all. Sadly, it’s a load of unwatchable rubbish. How it has been so well reviewed is difficult to grasp.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Have to agree with you General. I was really disappointed with it. I thought the idea was great, but poorly executed.

Hearing that line “Even Though You Have Broken My Heart Yet Again, I Wanted To Say, In Another Life, I Would Have Really Liked Just Doing Laundry And Taxes With You” hit me in the feels, but scenes like them butt bouncing around the office was too much.

I think the Oscar hype is more along the comeback stories of Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan. I really wanted to enjoy this one.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Someone should have nominated the rocks and subtitles. Possibly the best part of the film. I can see how the film might eventually tug at the heartstrings. But I was over it by then. Over long and over blown.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watched “All Quiet on the Western Front” today. Superb film making, harrowing as you’d expect however.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:Watched “All Quiet on the Western Front” today. Superb film making, harrowing as you’d expect however.
Yeah, I enjoyed it, worth a watch. Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I liked Everything Everywhere, tried something really different and creative. Thank **** it wasn't another franchise. I agree not everything landed (perhaps because they threw SO much) and could stand to have 15-20 kins cut in an edit, but the big notes it DID need to hit, hit for me. Great acting from all. Genuinely funny at times. genuinely moving at times. Fresh ideas. A film that tried something daring instead of by the numbers. Definitely one of the best films of the year to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, credit for trying something different and not being a comic book or other franchise. If I tried to name 10 best films of 2022, I couldn’t get there at the moment. That probably reflects a lot of them still hitting cinemas in Australia. Only one acting performance really stands out for me so far… Austin Butler in Elvis. A flawed film, but it’s probably on my list of best films.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

See, I think if they ditched the sausage finger thing, and the whole scene of them trying to shove awards up their rear, and that weird ***** fight, it might have won me over. It could have had a Matrix type vibe if it didn’t go for the awkward lols

Nickman's love of NSW
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 29, 2023, 6:47 pm See, I think if they ditched the sausage finger thing, and the whole scene of them trying to shove awards up their rear, and that weird ***** fight, it might have won me over. It could have had a Matrix type vibe if it didn’t go for the awkward lols
Yeah it could have been a totally different movie... but those were deliberate choices not to try and make an earnest Matrix type film or a standard, wink a little bit at the camera but mostly by the numbers marvel multiverse movie. They went balls out for aburdist, alongside the mundane realist hum drum, alongside full blast action but still backed themselves to nail the emotional core and have it side by side. To me the acting of Hsu and Yeoh and Quan pulled it off.

If you're going to call it everything everywhere all at once but stop at a retread of Matrix minus the trenchcoats it kind of defeats the purpose imo. We already have a Matrix.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Oh and I saw Nope recently. Really enjoyed it. Went in not knowing what to expect and was really impressed. Loving Jordan Peele’s work

Nickman's love of NSW
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2023, 4:00 pm I’ve attempted watching “Everything Everywhere All at Once” at least three times. Today I thought I’d give it another go, and make sure I sat through all of it. 11 Oscar nominations and all. Sadly, it’s a load of unwatchable rubbish. How it has been so well reviewed is difficult to grasp.
I's clear to me your taste in entertainment is terrible. You'd rather watch MAFs and the like. :doubt:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

BadnMean wrote: January 29, 2023, 9:04 am I liked Everything Everywhere, tried something really different and creative. Thank **** it wasn't another franchise. I agree not everything landed (perhaps because they threw SO much) and could stand to have 15-20 kins cut in an edit, but the big notes it DID need to hit, hit for me. Great acting from all. Genuinely funny at times. genuinely moving at times. Fresh ideas. A film that tried something daring instead of by the numbers. Definitely one of the best films of the year to me.
:clap:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

hrundi89 wrote: February 2, 2023, 1:37 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 27, 2023, 4:00 pm I’ve attempted watching “Everything Everywhere All at Once” at least three times. Today I thought I’d give it another go, and make sure I sat through all of it. 11 Oscar nominations and all. Sadly, it’s a load of unwatchable rubbish. How it has been so well reviewed is difficult to grasp.
I's clear to me your taste in entertainment is terrible. You'd rather watch MAFs and the like. :doubt:
Not everyone likes everything! I'm cool with that.

There are many posters here who think the Top Gun remake is the epitome of quality film making. Whilst I enjoyed it- it's still just a rehash of a great film from 40 years ago warmed up again...

Besides, MAFs and Below Deck are our guilty pleasures at our house :P
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. Don’t think I’ve laughed that much in ages in a movie. Nick Cage playing himself was good, but Pedro Pascal stole the movie.

I heard someone say if they ever do a Burt Reynolds bio movie, Pedro’s the guy. Now when I look at him, I can’t not see a young Burt

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: February 2, 2023, 6:03 pm Besides, MAFs and Below Deck are our guilty pleasures at our house :P
Ignore content snobs
You dont have to like what anyone elses likes. I like a lot of high quality films and tv and i dont like a lot of what other people like. At some point you get to an age where you stop worrying about liking the things other people like.

Creators make content. People consume or they dont... if you dont, it doesnt mean it's bad, it just means its not for you. It's fine. Andor is objectively a brillant show and it's not for everyone'

Let people enjoy what they enjoy. Don't yuk someone else yum @hrundi89
if your not in on something, fine... dont be in on it...but dont prentend you're the tsar of culture.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

That’s my thinking, Fui life rule #2 - You do you. I was telling Mrs Fui the same thing, I’m getting to a point where Im enjoying certain shows and movies more than I would have 5-10 years ago. Tag is an example of that. I think with the way the world is right now, I love a good cheap laugh movie that’s on the dumb side of the spectrum. Others won’t agree, and that’s ok.

Side note - I should write down these life rules… potential thread

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched “Mrs Harris goes to Paris” today. Delightful, gentle, charming, beautifully acted, produced and filmed. It might not be a remarkable film, a highlight, unless all those things were so rare. But they are. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

BadnMean wrote:There are many posters here who think the Top Gun remake is the epitome of quality film making. Whilst I enjoyed it- it's still just a rehash of a great film from 40 years ago warmed up again...
Who thinks that?! That movie was completely unbelievable. No way would a bunch of millennials ever sing Great Balls of Fire

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:That’s my thinking, Fui life rule #2 - You do you. I was telling Mrs Fui the same thing, I’m getting to a point where Im enjoying certain shows and movies more than I would have 5-10 years ago. Tag is an example of that. I think with the way the world is right now, I love a good cheap laugh movie that’s on the dumb side of the spectrum. Others won’t agree, and that’s ok.

Side note - I should write down these life rules… potential thread
I'd subscribe to that thread

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 9, 2023, 8:04 pm
BadnMean wrote:There are many posters here who think the Top Gun remake is the epitome of quality film making. Whilst I enjoyed it- it's still just a rehash of a great film from 40 years ago warmed up again...
Who thinks that?! That movie was completely unbelievable. No way would a bunch of millennials ever sing Great Balls of Fire
I don't care what the elitist strut around like their farts don't stink brigade think, Top Gun maverick was the epitome of quality film making.

Also :lol: :lol: at the Great Balls of Fire remark.

Anyone watching MAF regularly should be dispensed with.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote: There are many posters here who think the Top Gun remake is the epitome of quality film making. Whilst I enjoyed it- it's still just a rehash of a great film from 40 years ago warmed up again...
I’ve only just regained the ability to speak after accepting that you’re correct in rounding Top Gun to 40 years ago… Image
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: February 10, 2023, 9:45 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 9, 2023, 8:04 pm

Anyone watching MAF regularly should be dispensed with.
Somehow I both agree with you and will probably watch it again...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: February 11, 2023, 6:07 am
BadnMean wrote: There are many posters here who think the Top Gun remake is the epitome of quality film making. Whilst I enjoyed it- it's still just a rehash of a great film from 40 years ago warmed up again...
I’ve only just regained the ability to speak after accepting that you’re correct in rounding Top Gun to 40 years ago… Image
Horrifying isn't it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Biggest disappoint for me with Top Gun Maverick was they had my man Jason Mendoza in two scenes. One of was just his picture on the wall, and the other where he just walked in the background in the bar.

Dude needed more air time. He didn’t even get to throw a Molotov?!

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BORTLES!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Molotov cocktails work. Any time I had a problem, and I threw a Molotov cocktail, boom! Right away, I had a different problem.

Nickman's love of NSW