Raiders player signing speculation 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by -TW- »

We'll be somewhere between 5-8, would need a lot of luck to make top 4

I don't think 2021 is the best benchmark, the Titans made it with a 10-14 record, Knights 12-12. The Broncos missed this year with 13-11.

If we didn't have such bad f/a we could have made it with the same record in 2021 (10-14)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by -TW- on November 15, 2022, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

If EW played for us like he did for England, that would help…
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

UncleDrew wrote: November 14, 2022, 7:05 pm Our lack of activity in recruitment has me really worried for 2023.
Worth noting the salary cap for 2023 isn't finalised so we might see some movement but I won't be filled with confidence if this is us for next season. I'm a firm believer of the idea that you need to recruit one or two guys who can genuinely push for a starting spot each year to stay competitive. So far, we've only picked up development and back up recruits.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 15, 2022, 12:00 pm
UncleDrew wrote: November 14, 2022, 7:05 pm Our lack of activity in recruitment has me really worried for 2023.
Worth noting the salary cap for 2023 isn't finalised so we might see some movement but I won't be filled with confidence if this is us for next season. I'm a firm believer of the idea that you need to recruit one or two guys who can genuinely push for a starting spot each year to stay competitive. So far, we've only picked up development and back up recruits.
Correct, but in the flip side we have players internally like HSS, Mariota and Mooney all playing the role of the guys pushing for starting spots next year who had minimal exposure to first grade in 2022.

I’m also a big believer in recruiting 15-20% of a squad annually, but it’s not as though we don’t have pressure for spots.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

sprintman wrote: November 15, 2022, 10:51 am If EW played for us like he did for England, that would help…
The Melbourne game toward end of season and some of his England games have been better.

I hope he can find that level more often next year. I'm not sure he'll find that level every week but maybe if he was rested occasionally + with the extra byes this year he'll find some decent form again.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 15, 2022, 12:00 pm
Yeah, there is often a lot of activity as the season approaches when clubs start finalising their rosters. Plus lets not overlook the old chestnut of signing somebody for 2024 and them getting an early release for 2023.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

julian87 wrote: November 15, 2022, 9:40 am
-TW- wrote: November 15, 2022, 9:26 am
Timbo wrote:
We have a bottom eight roster at the moment. We need at least two solid FG players to come in to elevate us to being a side punching in the eight.
A bottom 8 roster doesn't go 14-5 to finish the season
I think we’re middle of the pack.
Just on that comment though. Very similar draw and results to Newcastle in 2021. And they definitely had a bottom 8 roster.
I think we proved we are a Top 8 squad this year. I am expecting further improvement in the Fullback and Center positions with the experience gained this year a good foundation. Same with Woolford at Hooker. I would have liked to have seen a backrower purchased. I really was looking forward to watching Rushton develop but that is not to be. I have hopes for Mooney and keep my fingers crossed that injury does not affect him next season. If CHN can get his fitness levels and discipline up, then I think we have a game changer who may be looking to prove himself in front of the NZ coach who will be with us next year.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Our soft draw will ensure a top 8 finish…
We should be aiming for top 4.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

GreenMachine wrote: November 16, 2022, 6:58 am Our soft draw will ensure a top 8 finish…
I sort of agree with you, but we need to bear in mind that ranking teams on last years performance can be more than a bit misleading. Teams change, for better or worse, sometimes rapidly. Case in point Manly and Broncos had reasonable first halves of the season and then fell apart, St George somewhat similar. What do they do next season, the good bits or the bad bits. Raiders to a lesser extent in the same boat.
I think the Raiders were likely to have made the top 4 last season if we had avoided injuries to Fog and Hodgo. Making the 4 next season is a reasonable ambition regardless of our draw.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GreenMachine wrote: November 16, 2022, 6:58 am Our soft draw will ensure a top 8 finish…
Lots of press talk about an easy draw. That will be a mental challenge for the players to overcome in that there is expectation they should win. The hard yards will have to be done no matter which team is being faced. Penrith are the bench mark side and I wish we did have to play them twice next year to get a gauge on where we are at. I think sides like the Bulldogs will improve and I don't expect the Broncos to fall in a hole late in the season like this year. Manly are also likely to be better with Turbo back and DEStruction removed from the Coaching role.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

What about Herbie Farnworth? Broncos have Walsh and Tesi Niu, although the latter probably will join Dolphins
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: November 16, 2022, 6:39 pm What about Herbie Farnworth? Broncos have Walsh and Tesi Niu, although the latter probably will join Dolphins
Great player but do we need another centre?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Cranky Old Man wrote:
I sort of agree with you, but we need to bear in mind that ranking teams on last years performance can be more than a bit misleading. Teams change, for better or worse, sometimes rapidly. Case in point Manly and Broncos had reasonable first halves of the season and then fell apart, St George somewhat similar. What do they do next season, the good bits or the bad bits. Raiders to a lesser extent in the same boat.
I think the Raiders were likely to have made the top 4 last season if we had avoided injuries to Fog and Hodgo. Making the 4 next season is a reasonable ambition regardless of our draw.
On the evidence we’ve seen Fog playing had a major shift in our on field results, hopefully he can stay fit and get a good season in.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 16, 2022, 6:57 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: November 16, 2022, 6:39 pm What about Herbie Farnworth? Broncos have Walsh and Tesi Niu, although the latter probably will join Dolphins
I reckon we have good depth in our three quarter line. Backrow is the main area of weakness imo and back up fullback.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

RedRaider wrote: November 17, 2022, 6:34 am
I reckon we have good depth in our three quarter line. Backrow is the main area of weakness imo and back up fullback.
Farnworth would be a good buy but we would have to release at least one out of Timoko, Smith-Shields or Kris, and doubtful that would work out to be a move of good value on the cap. Plus, it's looking like he might be going to the Bulldogs anyway. Backrow is definitely the spot we need to upgrade and glad the club is seriously looking at options there.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Yeah good player but we have options at centre.

13 and back row still the priorities
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: November 15, 2022, 4:06 pm
sprintman wrote: November 15, 2022, 10:51 am If EW played for us like he did for England, that would help…
The Melbourne game toward end of season and some of his England games have been better.

I hope he can find that level more often next year. I'm not sure he'll find that level every week but maybe if he was rested occasionally + with the extra byes this year he'll find some decent form again.
I havent watched a second of the RLWC, personally i cant muster any excitement for international RL... but i have watched the highlights and then i read comments like this and raiders fans in my text chains popping off about how EW has looked really good
Gives me some hope that may be he's got a little something left in the tank

I doubt it, but shiiiiid, given his contract, ill take the hope of SOMETHING over what i had come seasons end!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Farnworth would be a good buy but we would have to release at least one out of Timoko, Smith-Shields or Kris, and doubtful that would work out to be a move of good value on the cap. Plus, it's looking like he might be going to the Bulldogs anyway. Backrow is definitely the spot we need to upgrade and glad the club is seriously looking at options there.
I thought I read a while ago that he played a bit of fullback through the years? I can understand the club giving Savage first dibs there though. Farnsworth is an established first grade player so you have to question what's in it for him to move here.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I also remember reading he was chasing a fullback spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:
I thought I read a while ago that he played a bit of fullback through the years? I can understand the club giving Savage first dibs there though. Farnsworth is an established first grade player so you have to question what's in it for him to move here.
Zero, he'd only consider coming here for a first grade spot

We'd be better off developing Hopoate as a fullback so he can jump in where we need him

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Hoppa needs to find some pace.

luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

Botman wrote:

I havent watched a second of the RLWC, personally i cant muster any excitement for international RL... but i have watched the highlights and then i read comments like this and raiders fans in my text chains popping off about how EW has looked really good

I doubt it, but shiiiiid, given his contract, ill take the hope of SOMETHING over what i had come seasons end!
Always one of the better players throughout each England, always seemed to be the right spot.
That’s also given me hope he can have a good season next year.
Pained me to see George Williams play so well for England too :(
Still wish he had him
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: November 17, 2022, 10:46 am

Yeah I wouldn't say it was pure vintage Whitehead but he was making the odd respectable run when he chose yards, finding his front well when that was on to get the team rolling instead, moving the ball when it needed it and making some of those big effort defensive plays. Just generally finding positive contributions with some of that old Smelliot workrate.

Each to their own- I absolutely love watching PNG, Tonga, Samoa etc. Fiji had their moments too. It's often not slick, but the hits and passion are off the charts and you see some different styles of play.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: November 17, 2022, 1:05 pm
gergreg wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:

We'd be better off developing Hopoate as a fullback so he can jump in where we need him

Hoppa was a FB in Jrs at Manly. But he's too slow, and no ball playing.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
-TW- wrote: November 17, 2022, 1:05 pm
gergreg wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:
RedRaider wrote: November 17, 2022, 6:34 am I reckon we have good depth in our three quarter line. Backrow is the main area of weakness imo and back up fullback.

Hoppa was a FB in Jrs at Manly. But he's too slow, and no ball playing.
Chevy Stewart doesn't look far off physically either for his age

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I rate the Herb, but I think other teams would need him more than Raiders do and I’d like us to focus on retaining HSS
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Rick wrote: November 17, 2022, 1:14 pm Hoppa needs to find some pace.

That’s absolutely the one thing that a person doesn’t just find. You can improve with some technical coaching but you’re either quick or not. And Hopoate is not.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:

That’s absolutely the one thing that a person doesn’t just find. You can improve with some technical coaching but you’re either quick or not. And Hopoate is not.
he was lightning but acl's have cruelled him

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Agreed with Julian
Speed is a natural gift, it's not something you can just train and obtain, the gains you can make are marginal and on the edges. As bonehead rightly points out, Hoppa did have some really good speed before the injuries, but we're about (i think?) 4 acl's away from that. That speed ain't coming back.
The Hoppa discourse is out of control too. He is who he is now, which is a good squad filler as a winger. That's it. That's his role. He's a fine squad player in that role. Nothing more.
He's proven he's capable of stepping in if we have a huge injury crisis and his job at reasonable level for a 5th-6th string outside back. Trying to develop him into a weekly NRL starter or as a fullback option... C'mon now. That's way too much dip for his chip.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Don't think anyone has suggested him as a permanent fullback, it's purely as depth.

If we lose Savage and Rapa in quick succession were ****

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: November 19, 2022, 8:28 pm Don't think anyone has suggested him as a permanent fullback, it's purely as depth.

If we lose Savage and Rapa in quick succession were ****

If the answer to fullback without Savage and Rapa is Hoppa, we're **** either way :lol:
We'd be better off sending Wighton back there the way the Storm did with Munster and rolling out Frawls in the halves in such a circumstance.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sticky never likes to put young players into FG too early but Chevy Stewart is coming with a big reputation and is part of the Junior Blues.
I was impressed with James Schiller on the wing this year and he was safe under the high ball. He is a larger body and could make a handy stand in fullback. The way Morkos played in the RLWC, he cannot be too far away from a wing/centre spot if Rapa is out and HSS is returning.
I think we have options in the backline. Some other young players include Ethan Strange who is usually in the halves but I think had a run at FB in lower grades this year. Also Asomua coming through on the wing.

The option of Wighton to FB is a possibility but when CNK was out and we only had Savage/Rapa Sticky did not move Jack to bring in Frawley.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: November 20, 2022, 8:28 am Sticky never likes to put young players into FG too early but Chevy Stewart is coming with a big reputation and is part of the Junior Blues.
I was impressed with James Schiller on the wing this year and he was safe under the high ball. He is a larger body and could make a handy stand in fullback. The way Morkos played in the RLWC, he cannot be too far away from a wing/centre spot if Rapa is out and HSS is returning.
I think we have options in the backline. Some other young players include Ethan Strange who is usually in the halves but I think had a run at FB in lower grades this year. Also Asomua coming through on the wing.

The option of Wighton to FB is a possibility but when CNK was out and we only had Savage/Rapa Sticky did not move Jack to bring in Frawley.
I think Schiller might be on the radar as an emergency FB. Has a bit more toe than Hoppa and is generally a skillful player with a bit of that awareness about him. He did play one match in reggies at FB and seems to have done just fine.

Hoppa has hardly put a foot wrong and would make some yard wherever you put him but Schiller might be a little bit more well rounded if we needed a fill in for 6 weeks or so, not just a one off. Less likely to get lack of pace exploited by a smart kicking team with time to prep for him also, than Hoppa might be.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:
julian87 wrote:

he was lightning but acl's have cruelled him

This is my concern with HSS. Is that 2 ACLs he's done now?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One.