Raiders player signing speculation 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by greeneyed »

NRL clubs who could look to sign James Bentley

The Raiders seem to know better than most how to nurture their Super League imports, with the likes of Josh Hodgson, John Bateman and Elliott Whitehead all proving big successes for the green machine. Bentley and Whitehead would be a formidable second-row pairing, and Bentley would have a lot of freedom to express himself with a fellow Super League alumni on the other side to help him into the Australian game.

Read more: https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/three-cl ... ley-62577/

This article is amusing in a number of ways.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

if you're buying from leeds you're buying Morgan Gannon

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

”The Raiders seem to know better than most how to nurture their Super League imports”
John Bateman, George Williams homesick and had big fall outs with the coach/CEO, left the club after 18 months.

Harry Rushton, homesick, left the club in 18 months.

Jordan Turner, couldn’t crack firsts and left after 12 months.

Ryan Sutton, had issues with the coach/non selection, left the club.

Josh Hodgson, early days were good, more recently plagued by serious injuries and falling outs with the coach resulting in handing over the captaincy and leaving the club.

Not sure we are that good at “nurturing” our Super League imports....
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That was one thought that struck me. Not to mention the fact that Hudson Young is our first chosen second rower.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Finchy wrote: November 21, 2022, 8:57 am
”The Raiders seem to know better than most how to nurture their Super League imports”
John Bateman, George Williams homesick and had big fall outs with the coach/CEO, left the club after 18 months.

Harry Rushton, homesick, left the club in 18 months.

Jordan Turner, couldn’t crack firsts and left after 12 months.

Josh Hodgson, early days were good, more recently plagued by serious injuries and falling outs with the coach resulting in handing over the captaincy and leaving the club.

Not sure we are that good at “nurturing” our Super League imports....
I'd class Sutton as a success. The guy played 4 seasons, 60 or 70 FG games. That's plenty of footy, a major part of a career. Not everyone becomes a one club player. What more do you want from a bloke or the club?- he played his best, improved every year and got to the point in his career where other clubs could offer him more money, based on his success here and we weren't willing to match it for a 3rd/4th prop. We did a great job nurturing him to that point in his career and fair play to him too if he needs to take the extra money.

Whitehead, Hodgo were runaway successes beyond our wildest expectations at the time of purchase and rebuilt the club into a force. fantastic signings for the club and they ended up wealthy men as a result. Success all round.

Turner just wasn't any good. It happens. Nothing to do with him being English or not nurtured.

Bateman is a curious one. We got the very best footy out of him. He paid him peanuts his first year, which caused all the agitation when he found out how much lower he was on compared to others. Then it was shennanigans with no trust between anyone. The club was prepared to upgrade him but he got too greedy- as seen by the complete lack of interest in his ask from other clubs at the time.

GWilly is on the club/Ricky and GWilly's misreading of the situation shared. I don't think he realised there were zero f's left for that kind of ultimatum after Bateman's antics. I think he triggered Ricky there.

Not sure what happened with Rushton. Probably peeved he couldn't get ahead of Guler/CHN given his early season form and their relatively flat performances. Probably on us that one, it happened right off the back of that broken jaw which may have been the last straw.

COVID also the massive game changer in the GWilly/Bateman sagas. Esy to forget it changed the situation from one where they could get home at the end of the year to reconnect + relatively easily/affordably fly family out here during the season to stay in contact to one where all of a sudden they are facing 2 years without seeing their family.

That's not what they signed up for- it's a huge shift. Particularly in life stages like GWilly when they were looking to start a family. I'm not sure it's possibly for club to compensate/do anything during covid, when they couldn't guarantee travel which will make a partner want to have her first child when she's 10 000 miles away from her own family/grandparents etc.

Our track record pre covid was pretty stellar. Since then- spotty. But those RL players are just a symptom of what happenned all around the world to expat communities. I was living in Singapore when it struck and within a year or 2, us and literally tens, if not hundreds of thousands of other expats from SG alone had gone home for very similar reasons to those NRL guys. My employer there which was based on expats/oversees clients lost 20%-25% staff/clients in that period.

Pretty hard to pin fault on those forces on the Raiders. It was a worldwide pattern of behaviour/migration, not necessarily a failing on the clubs part.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

I wasn’t arguing that any of those players weren’t successful here (except Turner) or that their homesickness was unreasonable.

My issue was with the claim that we know how to “nurture” English players better than most. I don’t think we do.

We may sign more Poms than other clubs, but I don’t think that means we can nurture them better than any other club.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Fair enough.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sutton left because his partner is in Sydney.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: November 21, 2022, 10:54 am
Sutton left because his partner is in Sydney.
I’m not arguing that he left the club BECAUSE of issues with the coach or non selection, I’m saying he had those issues AND has left the club.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8bca004551
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Agree on Sutton being a success. Wasn’t a huge deal and he’s a solid first grader. Good business to not match Canterbury’s offer though as you’d rather lose him than any of the other middles, including Mariota and Mooney.

I sort of hope for them that they’ve done their homework though. He’s tough and a great defender but quite below par in terms of making metres.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Again, I’m not arguing that Sutton wasn’t successful. I’m pointing out the club isn’t some guru on “nurturing” English players, and like most of the others, he had some issues with the coach and selection decisions. It’s not a critique of his skill level or contributions as a player
Raiderfan2233
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raiderfan2233 »

We should sign Nene Mcdonald?????
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No we shouldn’t.
Raiderfan2233
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raiderfan2233 »

greeneyed wrote: November 21, 2022, 9:00 pm No we shouldn’t.
Y??? He’d be good for depth
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiderfan2233 wrote: November 21, 2022, 9:02 pm
We’ve already got 30 in the top 30, and they’re going to have to be top notch to push another player out.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiderfan2233 wrote:We should sign Nene Mcdonald?????
I'd suggest the return of Smith-Shields and the progress of Timoko and Kris would make signing someone like McDonald a luxury. He'd be an overpaid depth player for the outside backs, whereas what we actually need is more depth in the back row.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

A late 20s outside back who has played 7 NRL games in 3 yrs, AND is off to Leeds next yr.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:
A late 20s outside back who has played 7 NRL games in 3 yrs, AND is off to Leeds next yr.
And isn't actually that good

This is John Folau all over again

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: November 20, 2022, 9:14 pm NRL clubs who could look to sign James Bentley

The Raiders seem to know better than most how to nurture their Super League imports, with the likes of Josh Hodgson, John Bateman and Elliott Whitehead all proving big successes for the green machine. Bentley and Whitehead would be a formidable second-row pairing, and Bentley would have a lot of freedom to express himself with a fellow Super League alumni on the other side to help him into the Australian game.

It's not a serious website - it just makes stuff up for hits.

This forum would do great with Bentley at the club because there would always be something to talk about.

He's a seriously talented player, but I'd say behaviour wise, he's somewhere beyond thug into the realms of psychopath.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

MrPosh wrote: November 26, 2022, 12:03 am
greeneyed wrote: November 20, 2022, 9:14 pm NRL clubs who could look to sign James Bentley

It's not a serious website - it just makes stuff up for hits.

This forum would do great with Bentley at the club because there would always be something to talk about.

He's a seriously talented player, but I'd say behaviour wise, he's somewhere beyond thug into the realms of psychopath.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If every NRL club could steal one player: Canberra Raiders

The Raiders' biggest issue, without a doubt in the world, is the lock forward position. They need a ball-playing, big-minute, tackling machine to not only wear the jersey, but increase the depth available right across the club's engine room. It could be the one key issue that is going to, at this stage, keep them away from a premiership run.

While Isaah Yeo brings plenty to the side, and Brandon Smith is a tempting option, neither would alter the fortunes of the side to the same extent that Cameron Murray would, so he is clearly the best option when it comes to stealing a player for Ricky Stuart's green machine.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/if-every-nrl ... rs-125917/

The answer is a hooker or halfback.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah with great respect to this Pryde fella, im going to take a good long hard pass on Murray and take Nathan Cleary thanks!
BJ
Steve Walters

Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:Yeah with great respect to this Pryde fella, im going to take a good long hard pass on Murray and take Nathan Cleary thanks!
Yep, spot on. Closely followed by Grant, Manu, Hunt.

Anyone with a good passing game and decision making.

Hell, Cherry Evans or Ricky himself would improve our on field footy smarts no end.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Reasonable enough. Almost no one even on here has been shouting that halfback is our highest recruitment priority or biggest squad hole (in fact, I think I was one of the very very few to voice it).

Our biggest recruitment hole is lock slash edge depending on how we use people. Seconded by the group who think all our hookers are pants (not me, I'm team Wolf).

He can't write an article where every club needs to steal Cleary.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah that’s fair
You gotta file copy and make content and it’s a good subject matter. But it’s not getting past the editor when every team is stealing one of Cleary, Tedesco or Grant

If I were him, I’d have stated explicitly no spine players. Force yourself to get a little bit out of the box
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

greeneyed wrote: November 29, 2022, 2:18 pm If every NRL club could steal one player: Canberra Raiders

The Raiders' biggest issue, without a doubt in the world, is the lock forward position. They need a ball-playing, big-minute, tackling machine to not only wear the jersey, but increase the depth available right across the club's engine room. It could be the one key issue that is going to, at this stage, keep them away from a premiership run.

While Isaah Yeo brings plenty to the side, and Brandon Smith is a tempting option, neither would alter the fortunes of the side to the same extent that Cameron Murray would, so he is clearly the best option when it comes to stealing a player for Ricky Stuart's green machine.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/if-every-nrl ... rs-125917/

The answer is a hooker or halfback.
Does this read like every poster that has asked us to move Wighton to 13?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 29, 2022, 5:31 pm Yeah that’s fair
You gotta file copy and make content and it’s a good subject matter. But it’s not getting past the editor when every team is stealing one of Cleary, Tedesco or Grant

If I were him, I’d have stated explicitly no spine players. Force yourself to get a little bit out of the box
100% agree.
But I think we need an edge before a 13 too. We have middles on the roster. Ok, not Murray or Yeo, but I think a Whitehead and CHN/Mooney combo will be fine. We need a Kikau, Papali'i or *cough* *cough* Fifita type guy to partner Young.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Jack Wighton in a position to join the likes of Daley, Meninga, Croker and Tongue as a one-club player with the Raiders

When Jack Wighton signed a five-year deal with the Canberra Raiders in 2020, an option in his favour for the 2023 and 2024 seasons included his contract. He has already taken up the option for 2023, which only leaves the option for 2024 to be decided. There is the possibility that the Raiders will sign him to a new extended deal thus eliminating the 2024 option. If that happens, Wighton is destined to become a one-club player

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/jack-wighton-in ... ers/622178
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

My mate reckons he saw Aidan Tolman in braddon... He looking to for off-field work?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

RichmondRaider wrote:My mate reckons he saw Aidan Tolman in braddon... He looking to for off-field work?

Every second 30ish stocky blonde guy looks like Aiden Tolman. Just like every old guy with a white beard looks like Kenny Rogers.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BJ wrote:
RichmondRaider wrote:My mate reckons he saw Aidan Tolman in braddon... He looking to for off-field work?

Every second 30ish stocky blonde guy looks like Aiden Tolman. Just like every old guy with a white beard looks like Kenny Rogers.
One of the things I hate about the off-season is not seeing that Kenny Rogers lookalike in the coaching box next to Stick. The man is dreamy.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021