Canberra Raiders to feature in Origin 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Canberra Raiders to feature in Origin 2024

Post by President Clinton »

afgtnk wrote: May 4, 2024, 9:04 pm Leaving out proven danger men like Addo-Carr and picking that toiler Dylan Edwards is exactly what QLD want us to do. Edwards doesn't have the class for rep football.

Can't see Teddy being unseated, but if he is, it'll be for Turbo.
Three time premiership winner and CC medalist doesn’t have the class for rep football.

You are right, they should select Hynes.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Couldn't care what he's won - he's still a toiler. He's playing in a very special team, with a very special system. He's a cog in that. He won't have the luxury of the same conditions at Origin level, nor will he be facing the quality of opposition he does at club level.

QLD will likely be lining up with Reece Walsh at fullback. Do you think Edwards matches up to that? We need pure game breakers and match winners in Origin, not battlers in good club form punching above their weight.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Tedesco look very slow chasing Mam last night. I wouldn't be picking him. He plays a bit like Paul Gallen in SOO. Turbo had his worst game against us. Edwards is in better form than both. Personally I'd go with Edwards but would be happy with Turbo.

NSW have a lot of uncertainties in their side - FB, centres, 5/8, middle forwards. I expect Qld to win again. Slater is good tactically, picks the right players, and can motivate them (e.g Munster having COVID and Dearden playing). He's sharp. Very impressive.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

afgtnk wrote: May 4, 2024, 9:04 pm Leaving out proven danger men like Addo-Carr and picking that toiler Dylan Edwards is exactly what QLD want us to do. Edwards doesn't have the class for rep football.

Addo Carr is exactly what NSW should avoid. He's fallen off a cliff since leaving Melbourne. Carries on like a Muppet as well. He, Latrell and Jarome Luai should be kept well away.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:

Addo Carr is exactly what NSW should avoid. He's fallen off a cliff since leaving Melbourne. Carries on like a Muppet as well. He, Latrell and Jarome Luai should be kept well away.
Hahaha
President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

afgtnk wrote: May 4, 2024, 11:47 pm Couldn't care what he's won - he's still a toiler. He's playing in a very special team, with a very special system. He's a cog in that. He won't have the luxury of the same conditions at Origin level, nor will he be facing the quality of opposition he does at club level.

QLD will likely be lining up with Reece Walsh at fullback. Do you think Edwards matches up to that? We need pure game breakers and match winners in Origin, not battlers in good club form punching above their weight.
Dylan Edwards a battler :roll:
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

I think Dylan Edwards will get fullback but turbo is likely also. NSW needs to figure out that QLD is the best cover defence team in football which means the space the fullback can exploit is through the middle which Edwards does and teddy used to do.
The biggest test as to weather Madge know what he is doing comes from the GF last year. Broncs play as close to origin football as any team in the comp and it was only when clearly moved into 6 did he dominate. I really think this is blueprint, have a 7 to get to spots on the field and let clearly pick and choose his moments like Thurston did. Let's see.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ethan Strange and Xav Sav are the closest things we have to an Origin level player at the moment.

So yeah, I can't see any Raiders reps this year.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 5, 2024, 12:27 am Tedesco look very slow chasing Mam last night. I wouldn't be picking him. He plays a bit like Paul Gallen in SOO. Turbo had his worst game against us. Edwards is in better form than both. Personally I'd go with Edwards but would be happy with Turbo.

NSW have a lot of uncertainties in their side - FB, centres, 5/8, middle forwards. I expect Qld to win again. Slater is good tactically, picks the right players, and can motivate them (e.g Munster having COVID and Dearden playing). He's sharp. Very impressive.
Will be interesting to say which way Madge goes, but I’d be happy if he picked Teddy. Ever reliable, and he’s proven highly effective at that level.

Bigger issue is having Yeo at first receiver. That needs to be eradicated if NSW are any chance of winning.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote:Ethan Strange and Xav Sav are the closest things we have to an Origin level player at the moment.

Hang on, isn't Strange going to Captain-Coach Australia? I mean he could skip over SOO, but it seems unlikely.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Blues legend backs 'dynamite' Raider for Origin selection

Blues legend Andrew Johns believes the "dynamite" Canberra Raiders second-rower should be included in the NSW squad wherever possible after his game-winning try for the Green Machine against Manly.

"He's a try-scorer," Johns said on Nine's Sunday Footy Show. "He's got the personality to play at that level and he's got the toughness, without a doubt. I think he'd be great in Origin. I would just have him somewhere in the 17."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Match-winning Young back on Origin radar

Hudson Young's back to his match-winning ways and with it the Canberra Raiders second-rower could have launched himself back onto the State of Origin arena.

"Obviously got one wrong against Brisbane so to ground that one I was really happy," Young said of his match winning try against Manly. "Any game like that gives yourself confidence. I feel like I was going into the season really well and I know my game really well. Obviously it gives me confidence moving into the bye and looking towards the Bulldogs."

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

yeh raiders wrote: May 5, 2024, 1:24 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 5, 2024, 12:27 am Tedesco look very slow chasing Mam last night. I wouldn't be picking him. He plays a bit like Paul Gallen in SOO. Turbo had his worst game against us. Edwards is in better form than both. Personally I'd go with Edwards but would be happy with Turbo.

Will be interesting to say which way Madge goes, but I’d be happy if he picked Teddy. Ever reliable, and he’s proven highly effective at that level.

Bigger issue is having Yeo at first receiver. That needs to be eradicated if NSW are any chance of winning.
Why is that? Seems to work well for Penrith.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

If it wasn't for the injury I'd like to see what Papenhuyzen could do in the origin arena. He's super fit and offers more in attack than Edwards. They talk about Edwards knocking on the door for a long time Papenhuyzen has been doing it for longer. I think a lot of folks seems to have forgotten just how elite he is.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Ethan Strange and Xav Sav are the closest things we have to an Origin level player at the moment.

Hang on, isn't Strange going to Captain-Coach Australia? I mean he could skip over SOO, but it seems unlikely.
Sure, why not.

Is that in relation to something I've said about him?

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 5, 2024, 8:30 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:

Sure, why not.

No. Hope this helps
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Finchy wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

Sure, why not.

No. Hope this helps
It does!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

How did Edwards go trying to cut down Mam when he scored a hatrick in the GF last year?

If we go with picking 'in form' players like Edwards, then may as well call the series for QLD before it's played. Surely we've learnt in recent years that this approach has failed terribly.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

afgtnk wrote: May 5, 2024, 10:52 pm

How did Edwards go trying to cut down Mam when he scored a hatrick in the GF last year?

If we go with picking 'in form' players like Edwards, then may as well call the series for QLD before it's played. Surely we've learnt in recent years that this approach has failed terribly.
Yeh, nah. The first try Mam had too much space running on an angle. Edwards nearly got him and could have if he had 10 more metres. The 2nd and 3rd tries didn't involve Edwards. He makes a crucial tackle on Walsh late in the game.

He did get to a runaway Bailey Simonsson in the 2022 GF.

L Brooks for NSW 5/8?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Finchy wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

Sure, why not.

No. Hope this helps
It does!
You hate to see it.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Bluesbrother wrote: May 5, 2024, 8:00 pm

The speed of the defensive line is too fast at origin level.

QLD know they can encroach on the 10m, because the referees like to limit penalties and “let the boys play” in origin.

They also know that hitting Yeo at first receiver is highly predictable.

They know Yeo hasn’t got a lot of aces up his sleeve and is pretty easily handled by the defenders. He isn’t a dangerous ball runner.

It just doesn’t work well for NSW. They need to rely more on Cleary and forcing him to get his hands on the ball more frequently and earlier in the play, gives him the time and space he needs. It is the best option.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

yeh raiders wrote: May 6, 2024, 7:43 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: May 5, 2024, 8:00 pm

The speed of the defensive line is too fast at origin level.

QLD know they can encroach on the 10m, because the referees like to limit penalties and “let the boys play” in origin.

They also know that hitting Yeo at first receiver is highly predictable.

They know Yeo hasn’t got a lot of aces up his sleeve and is pretty easily handled by the defenders. He isn’t a dangerous ball runner.

It just doesn’t work well for NSW. They need to rely more on Cleary and forcing him to get his hands on the ball more frequently and earlier in the play, gives him the time and space he needs. It is the best option.
Good chat. Makes sense.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Clearly needs to play 6. He needs to pick his time and spots, play a little deeper which he can do at 6 to take away the rushing and sliding defence of QLD. Only problem is finding a 7 that can do a job with both Moses and Reynolds injured it's probably Niko, who is more a 6 1/2 than a 7.
Also for the first time in a while QLD will have the better forward pack so to'o, Lomax and Edwards will need to dominate meters from the back field, Which is why I think Edwards gets picked.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New South Wales name new-look team for Women's Origin series opener

New South Wales Blues coach Kylie Hilder has named her team for Game One of the 2024 Women's State of Origin series to be played at Lang Park on Thursday, May 16.

Hilder has named a new-look side for the series opener with several changes from the side that won last year's second game in Townsville – headlined by a likely new halves pairing in Corban Baxter and Rachael Pearson.

Canberra Raiders prop Grace Kemp will make her Origin debut.

1. Emma Tonegato
2. Jaime Chapman
3. Jess Sergis
4. Isabelle Kelly
5. Tiana Penitani
6. Corban Baxter
7. Rachael Pearson
8. Millie Elliott
9. Olivia Higgins
10. Caitlan Johnston
11. Yasmin Clydsdale
12. Kezie Apps
13. Keeley Davis
14. Taliah Fuimaono
15. Olivia Kernick
16. Grace Kemp
17. Sarah Togatuki
18. Jakiya Whitfeld
19. Kirra Dibb
20. Ellie Johnston

Coach: Kylie Hilder

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/05/08/sky ... es-opener/

Raiders rookie to make Blues debut in historic Origin series

Canberra Raiders prop Grace Kemp is set to make her Women's State of Origin debut for the NSW Sky Blues only a couple of years into her rugby league career.

"It hasn't quite hit me yet," Kemp said. "I've been watching it over the years and loving the level it's gotten to. I didn't think I was a chance for Origin selection. I was just enjoying the chance to learn the game. I'm hoping to bring some energy off the bench for the Blues.

denissnowy
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Great news. Absolute gun
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

So are they playing the Women’s Origin before a ball has even been kicked in the NRLW?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:So are they playing the Women’s Origin before a ball has even been kicked in the NRLW?
Saves pesky things like picking players in form.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

Is Taufa injured? Surely she makes the team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:Is Taufa injured? Surely she makes the team.
Recovering from shoulder surgery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:So are they playing the Women’s Origin before a ball has even been kicked in the NRLW?
Majority of them are playing state league at the moment

So not coming in completely cold, but yes would make more sense to play it at the end of their season

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Origin attitude' puts Hudson Young on track for Blues redemption

Hudson Young has unfinished business in State of Origin and he's hoping to get a chance of redemption when the NSW Blues squad is named in a fortnight.

"Something that I want to do is win a series and give back to the state and the NSW jumper," he said. "It's always in the mind, but I feel like it comes off the back of good performances. I feel like I've built my game well throughout the season. I just play my game and the rest comes on the back of it."