`Out' offer to renegade Titan Steve Turner

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Luke Turgeon

20Nov06

RENEGADE Titan Steve Turner has been offered a 'get out of the Gold Coast' clause after just one season if he is unhappy living on the glitter strip.

In a move designed to speed up negotiations with the winger, Titans chief executive Michael Searle said he put the deal on the table because he believes that once Turner finally makes it to the Coast the 22-year-old won't want to leave.

"What we have done as part of the negotiations is that I have offered to his manager that we would consider releasing him on October 31 if he didn't want to stay," said Searle. "It basically means there would be an out clause within 12 months if he was uncomfortable with the place.

"He has been saying that he is not comfortable coming here, but this shows that we are operating in good faith. We would like to think he would at least come here and experience it first.

"From our point of view, if he comes here and tries it and doesn't enjoy it, then he is free to go.

"If he wants to go back to Melbourne after that then good luck to him. I will drop him off at the airport if he wants.

"But I would be very surprised if he came here and didn't want to stay long term."

Turner verbally agreed to a three-year contract with the Titans in June before getting cold feet and re-signing with the Storm a month later.

The NRL has made it clear they will not register Turner's new contract with the Storm, believing he should honour his commitment to the Gold Coast.

As a result, Turner's only real options are to play for the Titans or sit out the next three seasons.

"If they do decide to go to court this dispute could be more than 12 months in the courts anyway," said Searle. "The 12-month offer shows the club is acting in good faith, the way it has done throughout the entire process.

"We are empathetic that he may be thinking twice about his decision but it doesn't remove the obligation to his original commitment.

"But that (the one-season deal) would only be if he came here.

"If he doesn't he is sitting on the sidelines for the next three years."

The news follows reports at the weekend that the Titans were offered the services of Queensland centre Adam Mogg and financial compensation in exchange for letting Turner remain in Melbourne. Turner's manager Dave Riolo did his best to broker the deal, which would have seen Mogg abandon plans to join English Super League club Catalans.

But the deal fell through when Melbourne would not meet the compensation criteria.

"The number of offers that were put to us for players to substitute were wide and varied," said Searle.

"The most likely one was Adam Mogg, but at the end of the day it wasn't an easy deal to achieve and Melbourne thought that the compensation request was too much for them."

Source: www.gcbulletin.com.au
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He should be told to live up to his word. If he doesn't want to play, too bad. He gave his word to the Titans and that is it. He shouldn't be given any "outs".
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

More importantly are Raiders management going to ask any questions?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The idea of Mogg going to the Titans is an absolute OUTRAGE and the NRL should simply have rejected that out of hand. The Raiders agreed to let Mogg go to Les Catalans as he asked and wanted to set himself up with that. Going to the Titans was NEVER an idea.

If that was going to happen, then the Titans or Storm would have to give the Raiders some form of compensation, IMO.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Steve Turner's pretty good - does he want to move to Canberra??

I guess with the success of the Storm in 06 he now doesn't want to leave - who could blame him, but contracts aren't put in place for nothing.
Philby
Simon Woolford

Post by Philby »

Dry your eyes princess :cry: and take your massive contract on the goldcoast and live on the beach in perfect weather while you watch beautiful scantly clad women walk by. I am so sick of these whinging pricks.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Stevey Turner is an awesome player
has been since he was a young 15 year old thundercat playing for the st clair comets... i used to watch him play with my cousin, and even then he was a cut above the rest. Id love him to come to canberra! Wont happen though
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

thickos wrote:Steve Turner's pretty good - does he want to move to Canberra??

I guess with the success of the Storm in 06 he now doesn't want to leave - who could blame him, but contracts aren't put in place for nothing.
That's a very good question Stu ;)
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Gold Coast will not yield

Mick Daly and AAP

November 20, 2006 11:00pm
Article from: The Courier-Mail

THE Gold Coast Titans will withdraw their offer to release defiant Melbourne winger Steve Turner at the end of the 2007 season if he pursues legal action against the NRL club.
Titans managing director Michael Searle said he was losing patience with Turner and yesterday threatened to fine the 22-year-old if he failed to show up at training on Monday.

Turner will meet with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney on Wednesday morning to plead his case in the bitter contractual dispute between Gold Coast and the Storm.

The Titans are willing to offer the Penrith junior a release after one season if he's unhappy on the Gold Coast.

"I'll withdraw that offer should he decide to go down the legal path and he'll then have to satisfy his contract for the next three years," Searle said

Turner agreed to join the Titans on a three-year deal in June only to change his mind and re-sign with the Storm until the end of 2009.

The NRL has sided with the Titans in the dispute, with Gallop saying on Friday the league might refuse to register Turner with Melbourne even if a court rules in the Storm's favour.

Former Bronco Mick De Vere is eyeing off an NRL coaching career after deciding against a farewell 10th season with the premiers.

De Vere left the Broncos at the end of 2004 and has spent the past two years with Huddersfield Giants in the English Super League.

He had hoped to have a final fling with Brisbane but instead will start a junior coaching and development role with the Broncos-affiliated Easts Carina.

De Vere, considered one of league's ultimate professionals during his time at the Broncos, said he did not want to end his career playing reserve grade for Toowoomba in the Queensland Cup.

"I don't like doing things half-hearted and would have struggled to combine work and football and still be playing at the level I wanted," he said. "I wanted to be committed to one or the other.

"Long-term, maybe in 10 or 15 years, I would look at taking a senior coaching position somewhere.

"But first I need to learn to be a coach. There's a difference between having knowledge and actually being able to teach. I don't want to jump straight in."

De Vere won premierships with the Broncos in 1997, 1998 and 2000, and represented Australia in four Tests and NSW in five Origins.

Source: www.news.com.au
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Titans get heavy with Turner
By Daniel Pace
November 22, 2006

THE Gold Coast Titans have warned Steve Turner he faces the "full wrath" of the NRL club if he wants to stay with Melbourne for financial rather than compassionate reasons.

Titans managing director Michael Searle will meet with Turner in the next two days, probably in Sydney, to try to resolve the messy contractual dispute between his club and Melbourne that has dragged on for three months.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said today Turner had some "distressing'' personal issues to overcome but he would not reveal any details before the 22-year-old flyer had met with Searle.

Turner, partner Kate, player-manager David Riolo, Storm coach Craig Bellamy and club chief executive Brian Waldron met with Gallop in Sydney this morning to plead their case for the Penrith junior to remain in Melbourne.

It's been reported the Storm had offered Turner an extra $100,000 to re-sign for three years with the club, despite him already agreeing to join the Titans until the end of 2009.

Searle said he was happy to discuss granting Turner a release on compassionate grounds but the wing would have to mount a compelling case.

"If it is purely financial then he should expect the full wrath of our organisation but if there are compassionate grounds then we'll look at it,'' Searle said.

"To date we've been given no evidence other than that he wants to stay in Melbourne and that is not a reason to terminate any agreement.

"If those reasons have changed or been modified then I'll sit down and listen to him. The game has to take a strong position on players unilaterally terminating agreements.

"Our club's in a Catch 22. Realistically we're going to be the only loser out of this.''

Gallop said he had explained to Turner that the NRL's hands were tied on the thorny issue.

"The entire fabric of the system relies on clubs and players honouring their commitment,'' he said.

"It seems to be acknowledged that he had committed to the Titans but he certainly has some personal issues that make the situation complicated.

"The entire situation is very distressing and I got an appreciation of that.''

But Gallop said his position had not wavered and he would continue to support the Titans in their battle to ensure Turner honoured his agreement.

The Titans are privately fuming over Waldron's handling of the affair after Turner backflipped and re-signed with Storm in August.

Asked whether he was angry with Storm officials, Searle replied: "I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed.

"We probably do see the financial inducement that was provided as something that concerns us and I think it is a whole game issue.

"With the pending release of anti-tampering obligations on clubs, I think this has been taken to another step to be frank.''

Searle said Turner's change of heart defied logic and he questioned whether it was all about the money.

"Call me a cynic but I think when there is extra cash, it does lead to people changing their mind,'' he said.

"I'm not saying that's the sole reason he's made the decision but until we're shown anything that resembles compassionate grounds our club won't entertain a release.''

Waldron denied suggestions Storm would launch a legal challenge against the NRL, which has steadfastly refused to register the club's contract with Turner.

Source: www.theaustralian.news.com.au
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Turner rejects Titans again
By Daniel Pace
November 22, 2006

STEVE Turner continues to refuse to leave Melbourne to join Gold Coast on a three-year deal because he cemented a first-grade spot with Storm this year.

Turner is seeking a release from his three-year agreement with the Titans on compassionate grounds, but Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle refuses to budge following a surprise meeting with the player in a Brisbane hotel this afternoon.

Turner is understood to have told Searle that he never believed he'd be playing first grade for Storm when he agreed to join the Titans in June.

"It was all about the fact he wanted to stay in Melbourne because the Storm have been good to him," a Titans source said.

"That's doesn't constitute compassionate grounds for a release."

Turner went on to make 26 appearances in a star-studded Storm backline, scoring 18 tries for the losing grand finalist.

The news follows in the wake of the revelation that the Titans are likely to grant Penrith forward Frank Puletua a release for compassionate reasons.

Searle had earlier said that Turner would feel the "full wrath" of the NRL club if he wanted to stay with Melbourne for financial rather than compassionate reasons.

But Turner's manager, David Riolo, who has refused to comment since the messy saga began in August, has dismissed speculation his client changed his mind because of an extra $100,000 reportedly offered by Storm.

Riolo also said Turner had three options if Gold Coast refused to budge on their position: play for the Titans; plead a case with the NRL to register his contract with Melbourne; or examine his full legal options.

"There's been suggestions it's been about money but Steve's even said he'll play for less money than what the Gold Coast has offered," Riolo said tonight.

"He'll even give them back the difference in the contracts if that's what they want. It's not about money.

"He's had some personal stuff Melbourne have helped him out with, but it's also about the fact he's very settled and doesn't want to uproot.

"I feel very sorry for the Titans because they've done nothing wrong and they've been left in a difficult situation."

Searle said after meeting Searle today that he was unconvinced the Storm star deserved to be released from the Titans.

"I asked Steve a direct question if there were any compassionate reasons other than him having an incredible loyalty to Melbourne and a desire to continue playing first grade for the Storm," Searle said.

"There was nothing new brought to light.

"We'd set a bad precedent for the game and the club if we released him."

Turner, partner Kate, Riolo, Storm coach Craig Bellamy and Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron met NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney this morning to plead their case for the Penrith junior to remain in Melbourne.

Gallop said he had explained to Turner that the NRL's hands were tied on the issue.

"The entire fabric of the system relies on clubs and players honouring their commitment," he said.

"It seems to be acknowledged that he had committed to the Titans but he certainly has some personal issues that make the situation complicated.

"The entire situation is very distressing."

Gallop said he would continue to support the Titans in their battle to ensure Turner honoured his agreement.

The Titans are privately fuming over Waldron's handling of the affair after Turner backflipped and re-signed with the Storm in August.

They claim Storm recruited "spin doctors" to put its case in a positive light.

"They'll come out and try to create something," a Titans source said.

Riolo said it was a difficult period for Turner, who was good friends with Titans coach John Cartwright and football manager Scott Sattler.

"He has strained those personal relationships because of this," Riolo said.

"It's been a very stressful time for him and his girlfriend."

Searle said he would now adopt a "wait and see" approach, but Riolo said the ball was firmly in the Titans' court.

"Steve Turner wants to stay in Melbourne and he's pushed that forward to the Gold Coast," Riolo said.

"It's now up to them to decide what they want to do. It's been a difficult situation for everyone.

"The other problem the Gold Coast would have is replacing him in their roster."

Searle meanwhile said Puletua had compelling family reasons to be released, but he stressed the club was yet to make a final decision.

"I'll probably sit down with John Cartwright in the next week or so and we'll work it through," Searle said.

"It is something we're considering and we'll go through the same process as with Steve Turner."

100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Titans chief returns serve to Waldron
Brent Read
November 25, 2006

A DAY after being accused of treating Steve Turner like a lump of meat, Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle branded his Melbourne counterpart Brian Waldron duplicitous and claimed Storm offered to send one of its young stars to the tourist strip.

Searle said Waldron raised the prospect of a player swap at a meeting last week, a move which would have resulted in Gold Coast allowing Turner to renege on his three-year deal with the Titans.

Searle said the Coast rejected the exchange, pointing out it viewed Turner as a fullback and would only consider a deal for Queensland custodian Billy Slater.

That option was dismissed by Melbourne, which is in the throes of negotiating an extension to Slater's deal.

"It's hypocritical of him to accuse me of that when he was offering a player in exchange," Searle said.

"I think it's duplicitous."

In a stinging rebuke directed at Waldron, Searle also made a pointed reference to the Melbourne chief executive's background in the AFL, where young players are subject to a draft that could result in them being sent to the other side of the country.

Waldron was the chief executive at St Kilda before joining Storm.

"The AFL sends their 18-year-olds all around the country," Searle said.

"He came out of the AFL. He endorsed that system where those young kids are sent everywhere.

"On June 7, he rang to congratulate me on signing Steve Turner. Later he signed the kid with the full knowledge that he had come to an agreement with us.

"We wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for him."

Turner agreed to join Gold Coast for three years but has changed his mind, declaring he wants to stay at Melbourne.

Despite the NRL backing the Titans, Turner and Storm have stood firm.

The ongoing tug-of-war over Turner overshadowed the announcement yesterday that Gold Coast would have co-captains in 2007.

Scott Prince, the Dally M captain of the year for Wests Tigers in 2005, and Luke Bailey will share the job.

"I think it's fantastic," Bailey said.

"When we lose you can talk to Scotty, when we win you can talk to me."

100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Puletua let go, but not Turner
By James Hooper
November 28, 2006

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright has defended the Titans' decision to release Frank Puletua on "compassionate grounds" despite refusing to budge on the controversial Steve Turner contract fiasco.

Denying the move was double standards, Cartwright said the Titans were fully aware of Puletua's reluctance to head north midway through last season.

"I've been aware of it for a while. It got to the stage where Frank was going to retire," Cartwright said.

Puletua has "extenuating family circumstances" surrounding his decision and will remain playing in the NRL with Penrith.

But the Titans will continue to take a hardline stance against Turner, who has been the subject of a tug of war between the Gold Coast and Melbourne.

"Steve Turner hasn't given us any compassionate reasons at all other than he's got cold feet," Cartwright said.

"Frank's is a family-related issue and I can guarantee you if I was in the same position I would do exactly the same thing myself.

"If people come to that conclusion (double standards) without knowing the circumstances then that's a pretty narrow-minded view."

Turner is refusing to join the Gold Coast and is prepared to launch legal action or sit out the 2007 season.

The grand final winger said yesterday his stance had not changed despite NRL chief executive David Gallop brokering a meeting with Turner and Gold Coast supremos last week.

"Nothing has changed for me but I'll be interested to hear the reasons why Frank has been allowed a release but the Titans won't let me have one," Turner said.

Turner's agent David Riolo said his client's case had turned into a power struggle between Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle and Melbourne counterpart Brian Waldron.

The Titans signed Canberra forward Kris Kahler in September to compensate for the anticipated loss of Puletua.

100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Puletua released amid retirement fears

Luke Turgeon

28Nov06

FRANK Puletua would have pulled the pin on his rugby league career if forced to play with the Gold Coast Titans next year.

The Titans yesterday granted Penrith forward Puletua an unconditional release from his two-year Gold Coast contract on compassionate grounds.

Puletua, who for personal reasons wanted to stay in Sydney to be close to his tight-knit Samoan family, will now almost certainly re-sign with the Panthers.

Titans coach John Cartwright said while he was disappointed Puletua would not be joining them in 2007, he could see no other reasonable option other than letting him remain with his family.

"It is personal, he spoke to me in confidence," said Cartwright in regards to the precise reasons Puletua was granted a release.

"But I couldn't make him fulfil the contract given the situation he is in.

"I feel for him, I really do. Frank has got to a stage where if his contract here had to be fulfilled he would just retire.

"The situation he was in, there was no other decision to make."

Puletua's release comes less than a week after the Titans knocked back Storm winger Steve Turner's request to stay in Melbourne.

The 28-year-old brother of Panthers captain Tony, Puletua signed with the Titans in June before making Gold Coast bosses aware of his desire to back out of the deal in August.

"They are two totally different circumstances (Turner and Puletua)," said Cartwright. "I have been in constant contact with Frank since he was aware of his troubles and I spoke to him towards the end of last season on a weekly basis.

"The two situations are miles apart.

"One guy wants to stay because he has changed his mind and decided he likes it down there more and the other guy has got genuine circumstances.

"I put myself in his shoes and I would be thinking along the same lines as Frank."

The only other member of the inaugural squad not already on the Coast, Great Britain international Brian Carney, is expected to join the team after Christmas after being granted a break following the recent Tri-Nations series.

NRL 100-gamer Puletua, who had been identified as a possible front row partner to Titans co-captain Luke Bailey, will leave a considerable hole in the Gold Coast forward pack.

"It is disappointing," said Cartwright. "He was a guy that I thought was improving with age.

"Some guys get towards the end of their career and they really play like it is the first part of their career because they realise they are coming towards the end."

But Cartwright is confident the nature of his pack, which has a number of players capable of playing both front and second row, will provide enough depth to fill the gap.

The Titans will not hunt a replacement for Puletua.

Cartwright said they signed Canberra Raiders forward Kris Kahler, the 27th player to be picked up by the new franchise, in September, just in case the deal with the big New Zealander did not work out.

"I was aware of Frank's problem pretty early on in the piece and we strengthened ourselves up in case there was a problem there," he said.

"Frank was a guy, too, who was pretty important for us in our plans because there is a large Polynesian community here on the Gold Coast and Frank is very well respected by them," said Cartwright.

Source: www.gcbulletin.com.au
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good on the Titans for standing their ground.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Turner dispute may benefit Walker
By Steve Ricketts
November 28, 2006

FORMER Queensland State of Origin wing Chris Walker could be thrown a lifeline by Gold Coast Titans.

Walker and older brothers Shane and Ben are still looking for clubs for the 2007 NRL season, and all three are living on the Gold Coast.

Chris was released by Melbourne after playing just six NRL matches this year while Ben and Shane were cut by South Sydney after playing 12 and 13 matches respectively.

The Titans' dispute with disgruntled Storm wing Steve Turner could work in Chris Walker's favour.

The club already has held talks with Walker, who played six Origin matches in 2001 and 2002.

If Turner refuses to honour his deal with the Titans, and sits out next season, Walker, 26, shapes as the ideal replacement - although the possible signing of Walker has not softened the Titans' stand on Turner.

Ben Walker said yesterday that all three brothers had plenty of football left in them.

"I think we've got about 450 NRL games between us and I'm the oldest at 30," Ben said.

"Chris has had some talks with the Titans but Shane and I haven't had any contact with NRL clubs since Souths let us go."

100%green
Don Furner

Titans and Storm start talking Turner

Post by 100%green »

Titans and Storm start talking Turner

November 30, 2006 - 7:45PM

Gold Coast and Melbourne have begun peace talks to settle the war over defiant NRL winger Steve Turner.

Titans managing director Michael Searle and Storm chief executive Brian Waldron sat down for the first time after Thursday's CEO's conference in Sydney, with Searle proposing the Gold Coast receive two developing players and financial penance for Turner remaining at Melbourne.

"We had a catch up this afternoon and just had a discussion about an equitable result for us, which included the possibility of human resources and a possible financial solution as well," Searle said.

"We'd probably look at two developing players. At this stage that's been floated out there.

"But it's only at the very early stages. We've only had the one meeting, and I'd like to see how it pans out from there."

Searle said he hoped the issue would be resolved within the next 14 days.

But while appearing to have resigned to losing Turner back to Melbourne, Searle said if no agreement was reached with the Storm the Titans would insist Turner honour his three-year agreement.

"From our point of view it's still very much he's got an agreement with us," Searle said.

"If we do come to a settlement between Melbourne and us then he'll play in Melbourne, but if we don't come to a settlement he's got a decision to make if he comes to play for the Gold Coast or sits out the next three years.

"I think it's in everyone's best interest to come up with a resolution sooner rather than later.

"That way everyone knows where they're going to, but at this stage, it's only the start of what will probably be a complicated negotiations."

Searle said Turner had received his first pay cheque from the club this week, minus fines for missing training.

"He's only been fined for the last three days, but those fines will be ongoing now. So he's got his first payment, less a couple of thousand dollars."

Source: www.smh.com.au
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

WE can work it out . . . Gold Coast and Melbourne CEOs Michael Searle and Brian Waldron nutting out a deal which would see Steve Turner stay with the Storm and his spot at the Titans being filled by a mystery player.

'Player swap' to end Turner saga

Dean Ritchie

November 30, 2006 11:00pm

A RADICAL plan was hatched between Melbourne and Gold Coast yesterday to finally end the protracted and bitter tug of war over Storm winger Steve Turner.

The exclusive Courier-Mail photograph on the right shows the moment where Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron and Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle met and agreed to an unprecedented "player swap" between the two clubs.

Turner will be allowed to remain in Melbourne, with the Storm to provide Gold Coast with a player of similar ability.

NRL chief executive David Gallop last night backed the development.

After an NRL chief executives' conference yesterday, Waldron and Searle met over coffee.

Melbourne officials will discreetly ask their players whether they would be prepared to leave the club and join the Titans.

Gold Coast officials have virtually given up on keeping Turner, who agreed to a three-year deal with the Titans but now wants to stay in Melbourne.

It is believed the two clubs have discussed players who could be swapped but are keeping their identities secret.

"One solution is a talent exchange," Searle said. "That might make it easier if one of their players wants to play with the Gold Coast.

"Ideally we would want a player of similar ability and talent to Steve. A trade-off might be the fairest way."

Searle said the player did not necessarily have to be a winger, Turner's position.

"We'll assess that. That would be up to our coaching staff," he said.

Waldron added: "There is a genuine acceptance from both parties that Steve wants to remain in Melbourne.

"Gold Coast have, however, put forward a compromise position that would see them satisfied.

"I need to talk to our coach (Craig Bellamy) before getting back to the Gold Coast."

Gallop has been told of the proposal and indicated, if both sides can reach an agreement, the NRL would not have a problem with the deal.

100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Tug of love … Steve Turner, with girlfriend Kate Novak, is adamant he won't be leaving Melbourne to join the Titans.
Photo: Paul Rovere

Turner is ready for action

December 2, 2006

Steve Turner may go to court in his bid to stay with the Storm, writes Roy Masters.

A LITTLE more than a decade ago, Justice John Gallop of the ACT Supreme Court heard the last case of an NRL player seeking to extricate himself from an agreement with a club for his services. Raiders prop forward Ruben Wiki had signed a beer-coaster agreement with the Warriors at an airport but decided he wanted to stay in Canberra.

Justice Gallop peered down at the formidable legal team - Jim Spigelman, QC, representing the Warriors, and Bruce Collins, QC, acting for the Raiders - and suggested they walk outside the court and settle.

"It was the first day of the case," says NRL chief executive David Gallop, the son of the judge. "The old man said, 'Can't you settle this?'."

The Raiders' then chief executive, Kevin Neil, said of the 1995 action: "Warriors chief executive Ian Robson and I went to the Hyatt hotel and we settled, with Ruben staying in Canberra. The Warriors would have been embarrassed if the details of his signing with them came out in court."

The latest legal case of an NRL player seeking to extricate himself from a perceived agreement is likely to occur under the watch of Gallop jnr.

Melbourne winger Steve Turner is adamant he will not play for the Gold Coast Titans in 2007, despite his manager, David Riolo, having reached agreement with the new club in June.

Turner insists he will pursue court action, if necessary. Gallop is equally intransigent. "Court action won't help his ultimate cause," Gallop says. "I can't force him to play for the Titans, but I can make sure he is not registered to play for Melbourne."

Gallop's stance is surprising, considering he is a lawyer and the NRL signing system is shambolic, operated by player managers, some with twisted ethical backbones.

These agents, each representing a number of players who sometimes compete for the same position at a prospective club, negotiate deals mid-year via telephone and then present them as fait accompli to their clients.

Turner says: "I have never seen a bit of paper, never seen a letter of intent. The whole system needs a cooling-off period, followed by a written agreement - like it is when you buy a house."

Gallop maintains the system is orderly, saying: "No amount of sabre-rattling will change our view that this is as much about fairness and the best interests of the competition as any black and white legal issue."

Still, while Frank Puletua and Turner have been digging separate escape tunnels in their deals with the Titans, the Gold Coast club has released the Penrith second-rower - mainly because he has convinced them he does not want to leave his local church.

And the Storm point to the case of Fuifui Moimoi, whom they had signed but released when he decided he did not want to leave Parramatta.

While Gallop acknowledges that a similar act of clemency would save Turner, he points to evidence which won't look good in court - the Gold Coast flying him to Coolangatta on June 29 to view possible accommodation and a 2KY interview on August 18 in which he confirmed he was playing with the Titans.

Gallop says: "I wonder how the Storm will overcome in court Riolo's email to [NRL salary cap executive] Ian Schubert which reads, 'I am steadfast in the belief that a deal was agreed to in my mind with the Titans in June. I could not in good conscience deny an agreement was made'."

Turner acknowledges this, but claims he continually called Titans coach John Cartwright and football manager Scott Sattler seeking a release. "They just kept saying, 'You'll be right, mate'," Turner says. "'Once you get up here, you'll be right'."

The Storm did not make him an offer in June, believing he wanted to play fullback and Greg Inglis and Billy Slater were ahead of him. When Turner told coach Craig Bellamy he wished to stay and was content to continue to play on the wing, the Storm made an offer which, over three years, is $30,000 more than the Titans will pay.

Yet Turner will play for nothing in Melbourne next year, if necessary. "I will give the Titans whatever is necessary for them to buy another fullback," he says. "It could mean I end up playing here next year for peanuts."

His mother, Karen, sitting with him in the interview, was mildly shocked at this declaration, saying: "I'm glad you weren't as stubborn as this as a young kid."

Furious at reports Turner's refusal to move to the Titans was somehow linked to the break-up of her marriage, Karen and Steve insist that if that factor was relevant, he would seek to play for a Sydney club. "I'm just down here briefly to support him"

Order is not a natural gift of young men. By this is not meant order in the sense of arriving at training on time, or bringing the correct gear to games.

Football players have that in the extreme. But order, in the sense of having your priorities right, of being at peace, of finding balance in your personal and professional life is not something that comes easily to youth.

Turner, who grew up in Sydney's west and endured the break-up of his parents' marriage, spent the first two of his three seasons at Melbourne with knee and foot injuries which resulted in three screws in one leg.

"I have found my feet here," he said in an office at the Storm. "I was 17 when I made my first-grade debut at Penrith, but I have only played 30 to 40 games. I should have played 100. At the end of the first two years, I said to Mum that if I'd had a crystal ball, I would never have left Penrith.

"But I lived with Cooper Cronk for the first 12 months and he helped me through the tough times. Then I met [girlfriend] Kate at the end of that year, at Penrith Leagues Club."

Despite them both being GIs (geographical impossibilities), the relationship flourished.

Kate says: "We did it long-distance the first year and then I moved down in 2006. All the girls have been great. They know what it's like going through contract time, let alone dragging on like this."

She has been implicated in Turner's problems, with some Gold Coast officials convinced she is the cause. Gallop concedes she sobbed before, during and after an interview in his office.

But rugby league officials do what most men do in a crisis - blame it on their wife.

Kate says: "I support Steve in what he wants to do. The Titans have said that if it's all about money, they will give Steve more; equal to what the Storm give. But money is not a factor."

Both come from the same money, which is to say, not much. Turner's stance is all about finally belonging and it's difficult to appreciate this unless you have lived in Sydney's west and witnessed the close bonds of the Storm players.

OK, some people wouldn't believe a footballer if he said the Pacific Ocean was wet - but Turner was genuine when he said in the presence of his mother: "This is home. I've never had a drama here. This is my family."

Waldron determined to hold ground in tug of war

MELBOURNE chief executive Brian Waldron insists his club will not offer financial compensation for winger Steve Turner, nor agree to a player swap, but concedes his early bullish approach to negotiations with the Gold Coast Titans jeopardised a deal.

Waldron and Titans managing director Michael Searle had coffee together during the NRL chief executives' conference this week, effectively opening dialogue.

"In retrospect, some of our early press releases accusing the Titans of being unprofessional were too strong," Waldron said.

The outspoken former AFL club chief executive antagonised Searle, who was keen to demonstrate that the new kid on the block would not be bullied.

The tug of war for the playing services of Turner developed into an ego battle between the two club chief executives.

Now, however, a deal appears possible with experienced winger/fullback Chris Walker trialling for a contract and reports versatile Wallaby Mat Rogers is keen to play with the Titans a year ahead of his 2008 agreement. However, Waldron maintains the Storm would not agree to financial compensation or a player swap.

Told that Turner was so desperate to remain in Melbourne that he would sacrifice his contract to allow the the Titans to buy another fullback, Waldron said: "He can give compensation but not us."

Searle said this would be an unsatisfactory outcome but conceded the circumstances for a deal now existed.

"The replacement of playing talent is important for us, especially from a depth point of view," Searle said.

Asked whether the presence of Walker and Rogers changed the Titans' expectation of compensation, Searle said, "Per se, they did not come from Melbourne. There is an onus on the Storm to sacrifice some playing strength."

Source: www.smh.com.au
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Coach riled by Turner

Mick Daly

December 08, 2006 11:00pm

A GUTTED John Cartwright has revealed his personal disgust at renegade winger Steve Turner's refusal to join the Titans and claims the NRL's newest franchise is now better off without him.
In a scathing character assessment, straight-shooting coach Cartwright last night told of his anger towards the Melbourne Storm flyer and his decision to backflip on his Gold Coast Titans deal.

Cartwright, who coached Turner in Penrith's reserve grade squad in 2001 and had promised to give him first crack at the Titans in his preferred position of fullback, admitted he felt let down by the 22-year-old.

He hoped the "full story" behind the saga would eventually emerge so the league world realised just how severely the Titans had been dudded.

"We flew him up, showed him around for two or three days and he agreed to me that he would come here," Cartwright said.

"We shook hands. He looked me in the eye. The deal was done. He even started looking for accommodation.

"I only coached him in a couple of games at Penrith and my reaction has been the same as it would be for any player in this situation. But to do what he has done . . . I'm not happy. I'm extremely disappointed, to say the least."

Turner agreed to a three-year deal in July before backflipping in August and signing a significantly richer contract with the Storm.

Despite meetings between Titans managing director Michael Searle, Storm CEO Brian Waldron and NRL boss David Gallop, the issue appears no closer to being resolved.

Cartwright conceded Turner probably would not play for the Titans but believed that was a good thing.

In a stinging backhand to the tryscoring whiz, Cartwright intimated it would be extremely difficult to work with someone he did not respect.

"Here's a guy who has made such a huge stand . . . it would be very hard," Cartwright said.

"In a way, you would be happy not to have him here. It's been front and back page news for so long now and I'm just sick of it.

"Nothing surprises me these days but it has left a sour taste in my mouth.

"I've accepted that he won't be here and I've moved on."

Searle said the issue could advance no further until Waldron contacted him with a solution.

He insisted the Titans would only release Turner if they were properly compensated.

"That means financially as well as providing us with some good junior players," he said.

"All we can do is sit tight and wait for Melbourne to get back to us."

The Queensland Rugby League has approved Aspley's inclusion in next year's Queensland Cup.

The club will serve as the Broncos' feeder team and be known as the Aspley Broncos.

They will replace the Toowoomba Clydesdales, who were this week forced to withdraw from the competition for financial reasons.